Friday, September 17, 2010

London Fashion Week : Ana Sekularac

London Fashion Week has officially begun and I can barely contain my excitement!!

Today I was lucky enough to go to the film presentation of
Ana Sekularac's Spring/Summer 2011 collection, which was absolutely breathtaking...

Ana is a British designer of Serbian origin. Starting off her career as a model at 19, Ana moved on to become first assistant to the editor of
Cosmopolitan in Italy, and then part of the fashion desk at The Daily Telegraph. Ana launched her brand Ana Sekularac in London in 2007 and has become a world known fashion designer ever since. Her clients include Anna Friel, Victoria Beckham and Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas.

Her Spring/Summer 2011 collection, "The Phase" is beautiful; I instantly fell in love with it.

Ana's collection is solely black and white, which in a way bestows an air of simplicity to her collection, however, it is instantly juxtaposed with the immense intricacy of her designs.

From the perfectly pleated cotton skirts to the delicately draped chiffon detailing to the fascinating elaborate hand work, "The Phase" is nothing like you've ever seen before.

All her pieces are perfectly constructed, carry an aura of elegance and sophistication and complement the female figure.

Consisting of mainly of skirts and dresses, all of Ana's pieces are wearable.


The fact that Ana decided to produce a short film displaying her collection as opposed to a regular catwalk show illustrates her uniqueness as a designer. The film is set on an open street and features 5 different models walking with confidence in Ana's stunning pieces. All the models have their hair pinned back, minimal make up but striking red lipstick. I believe it really is the perfect way for Ana to show her new collection.


Short Q & A after the film

What inspired your collection?

"The inspiration first came with the idea of a video. I had the complete collection in my mind but I hadn't done anything. I started with the video, so I started in the opposite way. After the video I started doing the sketches, the pattern cutting and all the rest."

"I really wanted to show what personifies the emotions of the woman who's wearing the clothes, which is very important. I think my clothes are like a medium, like a tool a woman can use to express herself. It's not the other way around. So when you're wearing it you can really express your emotions and feelings without feeling restricted by the clothes. It's like a tool to be yourself."

Why did you decide to shoot a video?

"I think that was the only way to show the inspiration. I didn't do it to do something different, I didn't do it because I have something against the classical catwalk show which can be beautiful. The only way to express these emotions through the cut of the clothes, through the details, through the walk, through the movement of the details and through the woman wearing it. So you had to have a video to see that."

What is your favourite piece?

"I don't have a favourite piece. I never have a favourite piece. It's difficult to decide. I like every single piece that I made."

No comments:

Post a Comment